No time for cooking breakfast? Smoothies are a perfect on-the-go solution for guilt-free energy and nutrient density. But too often I see people make smoothies that are nothing more than sugar and dairy, which is not optimizing the benefit and is not the best way to maintain health.
For a great smoothie you will need to have a few staples:
- 1 cup liquid base of any of the following whole, organic, grass fed or raw goat or dairy milk, high fat coconut milk (not beverage), homemade almond milk, natural kefir or yogurt, water, or coconut water. DO NOT USE JUICE
- 1 cup fresh or frozen fruit of your choice. Berries are low glycemic, but you can mix any you like.
- 1/2 cup loosely packed greens for nutrients (parsley, kale, dandelion, spinach) or 1 tbsp green powder
- 1 ripe banana OR stevia liquid to taste if you are on a low carb or keto diet
- scoop of protein powder of choice – I prefer an all in one vs an isolate for nutrients OR 1/4 cup soaked nuts/ hemp protein or cricket powder
- optional ice
- optional small amount of superfood like goji berries, chia, hemp, etc
Play with flavours. Some ideas are berry vanilla, chocolate monkey with cacao and banana, chocolate mint with chocolate smoothie, cacao powder and mint extract or fresh mint leaves, vanilla chai with unsweetened chai tea and vanilla protein powder and skip the fruit. I make strong espresso, sweetened with stevia ahead of time and freeze into ice cubes. I also make probiotic yogurt ice cubes to drop one into each smoothie.
Over time you will become a pro at eyeballing the amount of ingredients you need and looking at what you have in your kitchen to create something tasty. Googling other people’s recipe ideas can also help you but overlook those that use honey, juice, or syrup to sweeten the smoothie. You do not need the extra carbs and they are going to set you up for blood sugar problems all day. For the reasons why carbos don’t work for energy in the long run, read my post on calorie counting.
If you’re still feeling unsure, sign up for a cooking class on smoothies and you will walk away a pro!